Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Choosing to Honor in the Depths of Grace

I have seen several status updates by Danny Silk on Facebook about his new book, Keep Your Love On.  It seems the premise of the book is learning how to truly love and have boundaries as well.  It is learning how to honor others even when they hurt you.  I was recently in a situation where I chose poorly.  I sinned against someone I love by losing my temper.  I have apologized, but this person still seems upset with me.  I kept thinking about "keeping my love on."  How do I honor someone who won't choose not to remember when I have sinned?

Sometimes words aren't enough.  Sometimes there are no actions to make up for what you've done.  Sometimes, it is just submitting to the Lord and letting go.  It is trusting Him to make all things beautiful.  I am choosing to honor this person by not bringing up old sin, by forgiving all that has been done to me, and by praying daily that my sin is not wasted--that God will somehow glorify Himself in it.

I am so unworthy of grace.  That's what makes it grace. This situation has opened my eyes to something: how often do I refuse to give grace to others when they sin against me?  Even in this situation, when this person sinned against me, I did not offer grace--I exploded.  Pain that buried itself in my heart catapulted out of my mouth in anger like a dormant volcano suddenly made active.  No pain, no sin, no circumstance is ever too deep or wicked for the grace of God.  His grace is infinite and abundant for those who fear Him.  Today, I rest in that grace, and I hope that I can, in the future, extend it as well as He does regardless if I receive it from others.

P.S. The person I offended was not my husband.

P.S.S.  I just read Danny Silk's Facebook, and this was his quote which I felt goes along perfectly with what I am talking about:


The illusion that absolutely no sin exists at the top of the ladder creates the ridiculous gap between regular people, who sin and leaders, who supposedly don't. It turns leaders into liars, because they are not allowed to be real people anymore and this only sets them up for isolation and a fall. As we learn to keep our love on, it's essential that we have the revelation that people are people and we stop being afraid of people's mistakes. KYLO.

1 comment:

  1. Amanda, we have all done and said things we later regret. Rest in the assurance that you have done all within your power to right a wrong. Now rest in God's promise that all is forgiven by Him and the person who is unwilling to accept your apology is the one in the wrong now. Time helps to heal!!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know you stopped by! I love reading your comments!