Saturday, November 21, 2009

New Books for the Birthday Girl

There is not a whole lot more that I love than new books. It's an addiction. I have been this way as long as I can remember. I don't mind used books (they're new to me)--I just love owning books. And now that I'm crafty, I love craft books. Cookbooks are okay once in a while, but craft books are okay EVERY DAY.

My mom and aunt both gave me Barnes & Noble giftcards for my birthday. I made quick use of them online (and got free shipping! and member pricing for non-members--a promotion they're running right now...and I used Ebates and will get cash back), and these are the gems I found.

One-Yard Wonders by Rebecca Yaker and Trish Hoskins: 106 projects to make from one yard of fabric. Perfect for me--quick and satisfying. There is a file-cabinet cover in there that I'm excited to make. Our filing cabinet is UGLY (but it was free on Freecycle.org). There are tons of cute projects in this book!!!



Simple Sewing by Lotta Jansdotter: I've wanted this book for three years. I finally own it. Lotta's style is incredible in that European simplistic way, and I love it. There are so many projects I can't wait to get started on, and they're SIMPLE. This lady is a genius.



Kneadlessly Simple by Nancy Baggett: The author's name is enough to sell this book--Nancy Baggett (get it? Baguette?) I hate kneading bread. I would like a bread machine (used to have one, but I let someone borrow it and they never returned it) to help, but with this book, I don't have to knead--the pictures are incredible, and the breads look tasty.



Sew What! Bags by Lexie Barnes: I love making my own purses. This book has 18 different projects, and I can't wait to get started--clutches, messenger bags, totes, drawstring--there's something for everyone.



There are some others I'd like as well:

Seams to Me by Anna Maria Horner (along with a pile of her fabric)

Weekend Sewing by Heather Ross

Stitched in Time by Alicia Paulson (Posie Gets Cozy)

French General: Home Sewn by Kaari Meng

Do you have any suggestions to add to my list?

(I already have an Amy Butler book, In Stitches.)

3 comments:

  1. These aren't craft books, but have you read the Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers? You MUST read them. I think I've read them and reread them about 3 times now. They are fiction, but God has used them so much in my life! Hope you and the family had a wonderful rest of the trip. We had so much fun with you guys! We appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how ironic. I just made a post about how frustrated I am with lack of access to information here. We are so blessed. Books are either non-existent here or are so expensive they are only for "other" people. I do love books! Be sure and enjoy them for all those who can't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the Simple Sewing book and I love it. I've made the all-day tote, the regular tote, the half-apron and I'm working on a couple of the reversible aprons for xmas gifts. I wish she were more detailed on some of her descriptions and had more pictures of the process. I'm a beginner and need all the visuals I can get! But, everything in the book is so fun. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know you stopped by! I love reading your comments!