- My run on Friday was fine except that my right knee, shin, and ankle killed. I did not get to run on Sunday (and not because I'm that guy from "Chariots of Fire") mostly because of circumstances and the weather.
- Sam broke his leg on Saturday, but we didn't take him to the hospital until Sunday. We really didn't think anything would show up on the x-ray, but Dave saw something. The radiologist missed it, but then upon reexamination, agreed there was something there. Then, we did a CT scan of his leg which did show a hairline fracture of his tibia.
- How did he break it? On a trampoline. It was a bit bizarre, but he got double-bounced and there were two other kids on there (one was a bigger kid). The orthopaedist told my friend (the SAME thing happened to her son when he was 5) that when he came down, there was no give on the trampoline, so it was like falling on concrete. So, even though he didn't fall OFF of the trampoline, he still broke a bone. Sheesh.
- I'm trying to figure out what is a good balance as a mom--I don't want to be overprotective of my kids, but I had a BAD feeling about him jumping out there. I didn't want to tell him that he couldn't jump and have fun with the other kids. What do you do in that situation when your intuition says "NO!!!!" Do you listen to it like you would the Holy Spirit??? I just wonder.
- I am slowly gathering homeschooling materials. I want to look at math books. I need to search for a fair so I can see them in person. I just want something that will work well with my personality and Sam's learning style (I'm not really sure what that is, either!).
- I am finishing The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, and I LOVE IT. If you haven't read it yet, you should. It is delightful--witty and funny, but also serious and sad in parts. It is an interesting reflection on the post-WW2 years.
- We bought Sam some Legos to play with during his convalescence. We bought Maryn a Tinkerbell doll so she wouldn't feel left out. We didn't get Lucy anything because she doesn't know. :)
- Big news! Lucy gained 14 ounces last month! I switched her to lactose-free milk. I don't know for sure that is what helped, but I am sticking with it for a while. We are thrilled. She is now in the CDC growth chart's 3rd percentile, and the WHO breastfed chart's 10th percentile. Yea!!!
- Got to see my niece and nephew this weekend for his 5th birthday party (and my other family too!). It was so great. I love those kids. They are so funny. Especially Case. He says the funniest things. Addison is ADORABLE and chubby all over. I had a hard time not kissing her neck non-stop. :) I see both of her parents in her, but she does look an awful lot like my brother. It's a little weird!
Monday, April 19, 2010
Give Me a Break with the Bullets, Already!!!
Here it comes: